Central Oregon Announcements
Central Oregon program announcements will be published on this page each month. Please read to the bottom of the page for all announcements.
President’s Note June 2019
Summer programming looks vibrant! From documentaries to history and science, shared interest groups and social gatherings, OLLI has a menu of offerings all members are sure to like. About 25 new OLLLI members have joined in the last few months. That is over a 10% increase! New members add diverse personalities and life experiences and the potential for new ideas regarding programming. You are also a source of volunteers which we always need. Please let OLLI leadership or staff know if you have a few hours a week you can donate to OLLI. There is always something that needs doing!
This is our last month in The Duck Store classroom. After a break from most OLLI programming June 20 through July 6 (with the exception of our Pine Mountain Wildflower Hike on June 28), we have two venues in which we are holding our summer programs. “Summer” for us consists of July, August, and September. Before June 15, members will receive a letter in the mail with the names and locations of each venue/classroom and the associated programs. Phone numbers for OLLI-UO support staff in Bend and Eugene have not changed and these will also be in your letter. Of course, the Info Hub has all the information you need, but sometimes it is nice to talk to a staff person or receive a letter in the mail.
Let’s harken back to when we were kids and went to summer camp in different locations! Helen Pruitt’s experience as a Girl Scout Leader may come in handy! Long-term classroom space is being actively pursued.
My OLLI member of the month is Terry Schwab. Throughout the process of moving, she has been strategic and humorous, keeping us all positive and rowing together. See you in our new locations in July!
Suzanne Butterfield, Central Oregon Council President
May 16, 2019
OLLI-UO in Central Oregon Status on the Move
The message below will be emailed to members and posted in the classrooms as an announcement no later than 05/20/19.
In an effort to keep all of our OLLI-UO Central Oregon members apprised of our “move” progress, here is an update, as of 05/16/2019:
“Permanent” Location Search Making Progress
- Steve Hussey and Heather Inghram continue working with a commercial real estate broker and have visited 50+ properties.
- Bend has a very tight commercial real estate market and OLLI has a unique set of needs: Ample & flexible classroom space; Convenient parking; Office/administrative space; Storage space; ADA Restrooms; Bend location.
- If we can’t find a single location that meets our unique needs and fits within our budget, we will likely be spread out across a couple of locations. While not ideal, this is done at many OLLI Chapters.
Interim Location Search Is Finalizing “Summer Camp!” Locations
- Beginning in July, OLLI-UO Central Oregon operations will be spread between two locations:
- The Elks Lodge (Mondays/Tuesdays)
- Deschutes Historical Museum (Wednesdays)
- Paperwork is being finalized to use these two locations on a short-term basis. We believe the facility use agreements will go through and will communicate as soon as they are confirmed.
- Heather and Lynnea will have use of office space alongside their UO colleagues in Advancement.
- They will be working from a small office in Vision Plaza, located on SW Columbia St.
- They will continue to be available by phone and email.
- The phone number for Bend operations (541-728-0685) will transition to a voicemail box that Heather and Lynnea check regularly. Members wishing to speak to someone right away should call the main Continuing and Professional Education office at 800-824-2714.
- More specific information (programs, times, and locations) will be provided in the letter that Suzanne mentioned around June 15.
OLLI Programming for Summer and Beyond: “Business as Usual”
- The summer curriculum is in final stages of development and there will be no reduction in the typical number of summer course offerings and activities.
- The summer schedule will be posted on the Hub and communicated via email with the usual timing.
- There will be a summer welcoming party to which you are all invited, held at one of the summer venues. Location and details TBD.
- Our last day of class at the UO Bend Center/Duck Store building is set for Wednesday, June 19.
- Moving of furniture and items will happen June 20/21. Professional movers will move the large items, with help and direction from UO staff.
A BIG SHOUT OUT to UO and CPE Group for Their Great Support
- UO Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) is completely committed to long-term sustainment of OLLI-CO. They are fully engaged and very supportive in all aspects of the move/relocation process. THANKS SO MUCH!!
IT TAKES A VILLAGE: OLLI-CO Volunteers Really Stepping Up to Help
- Thanks to all of you who have volunteered and are helping out in so many ways. We couldn’t do this without you!
OLLI-UO in Central Oregon Governing Council and Facility Search Committee
May 16, 2019
An archive of previous announcements is available.
2018 announcements archive
2019 announcements archive